Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Half Ton Mom

Sooo a while back on a Sunday evening I was relaxing in the living room and talking to one of my BFF’s Nina. As per usual I was watching one of my fave shows Bridezillas and out of nowhere my sister comes charging in the room screaming, “MEESHA..YO…OMG…… You have to turn to TLC!!!” At first I was annoyed because I am into my Bridezillas and phone convo, but then when I turned the channel my mouth dropped. On the bed perched in all of her glory was Renee Williams. She is 29 years old,the mother of two beautiful girls, and 900lbs. Needless to say, Bridezillas was not being watched that night. The story chronicled Renee’s journey to be approved for gastric bypass surgery. Renee grew up in the south (North Carolina I believe ) and she was the daughter to an African-American father and a Mexican-American mother. I say between living in the south and being black (hello fried chicken and macaroni cheese) and Mexican (burrito and nacho cheese heaven) baby girl had no hope in the health department. Renee was a heavy girl for all of her life and her weight steadily crept up over the years, but she still lived a very functional life. Unfortunately her life took a turn for the worst when she was in a car accident in 2003. The accident left her leg crushed and she became bed bound. Over time I believe she gained somewhere between 500-600 lbs due to her depression.

At this time gastric bypass surgery was as popular as the damn Slim Fast diet and Renee sought the procedure for herself. BUT because of her size no doctor would touch her. Renee was in the very exclusive (well actually this group is growing) super-morbidly obese (SMO) club which made her severely at risk for complications. She was turned down by many docs, but their rejection only fueled her fire. Renee soon found purpose in her condition and took to the Internet to champion surgery for the bed bound in the hopes they too would walk and be functional again. Eventually Renee’s hard work paid off and she had the surgery. Sadly, Renee died 12 days later after suffering from a heart attack.

I was sad but not really shocked that she passed. I really felt bad for her two girls, and the older daughter especially because they were traumatized by her death. It’s one thing to lose a mother but they both had to suffer through the taunts and snickers from classmates even when they mom was alive. They too (not surprisingly )struggled with their weight and you could tell that they have complexes and body image issues because of their mother’s life and tragic death.

America…in the words of Susan Powers we must, “STOP THE INSANITY!!” I do have a question though in regards to Renee Williams, who in the hell was feeding her while she was bed bound and spreading beyond capacity?!?!? Food is like drugs in that it too is an addiction. Granted she can’t walk but giving her a fresh baked cake from the Piggly Wiggly was not the solution. People seek instant gratification to get rid of those bad feelings. Listen, when you are not feeling right let someone you trust know, so that they can help you weather the storm. We have so much to live for but sometimes we get SO bogged down in sorrow that we cannot see the light of day. It takes time for the clouds to go away, but after a while the storm passes and the sunshine returns. And even if it rains again at least now you know how to dance in the rain.


You are not an island people…..call a friend…before you become one!!! No Apologies people!!

2 comments:

  1. WoW...I was just self reflecting today about emotional eating and how i let it get the best of me in times past. Thank God I learned the art of positive self talk and maintaining an attitude of gratitude. When i have my days of not feeling my best, i remind myself that this is just another rough patch that will pass. No need to set my weight loss goals back with a dozen of buffalo wings and oreos over a temporary circumstance.

    I am wondering too who was feeding this young lady. This is is such a sad story...

    ReplyDelete
  2. here here girl!!!
    I mean that's what I did and that's what alot of people do.we get caught up and wind up worse than we were before....

    I mean really...I do want to know..who in the hell was feeding her...i mean really?!?!? They should've thought twice!!!

    ReplyDelete